Friday, November 21, 2008

Trunkin

I was reading an article on the web yesterday that talked of earthquakes in southern California. It stated that for the week we were camping San Clemente there were over 400 earthquakes recorded and several of those over 3.0. Now staying at the San Mateo campground sleeping on the hard sand floor I thought that maybe we would feel something. Upon second thought it was realized that with camp pendelton bombing, shooting, artillery and Liam's snoring it is near impossible to tell the difference from an earthquake.





While in Cali myself and Colin had to at least trunk it once, being lake surfers and all. My day was on Thursday. I paddled out mid afternoon amongst all of the rubber clad surfers in my pale white outfit, Boardshots only. After several confused looks from locals, someone finally said 'your gonna get cold sittin there'. I was actually not that cold, no colder than the lake in the summer. (about 61F) While we were waiting for some waves we noticed that the dolphins from the day before were back. It must be mentioned that the day before a couple of fins arose from the water about 6 to 8 feet from me on an early morning dawn patrol. My brain was telling me that they were dolphins, but my body telling me to get the hell out of there. After I casually turned around and started paddling for shore, Colin was yelling 'they are only dolphins...'. As I calmed myself down searched for any loose terds in my wetsuit, I sat back and enjoyed the sight of them. Anyway back to my original thought, as I was sitting on my board I was thinking that this may only be a once in a lifetime chance so I started repeatedly slapping the water in hopes to call the dolphins over. (like they do in Seaworld) It did not take very long before about 6 dolphins came right over to me. Probably attracted to the bright white object in the water. The dophins swam and fished around me under me and looked me eye to eye. It was amazing to understand first hand the gentle playfull nature and curiosity. I could have at any one time reached out and grabbed one. I thought of jumping in completely and see if they would swim with me. But I did'nt. The dolphins hung out with me for about ten minutes before continuing on with their journey. Before they left completed they caught a few waves with us. Colin actually rode a wave beside one of the dolphins. An amazing experience.




















No comments: