Sunday, April 26, 2009

History

When our house burned down five years ago, we lost everything. I had a collection of numerous surf magazine and such from back in the eighties. A subscription to Surfer and an east coast surfing magazine (i cannot remember the name of) that taught me to pee on a jelly fish or man-o-war sting. These are magazines that I will never get back, a part of my growing up and love of surfing and the ocean.
Well I was recently in the attic of my parents house looking for my old lego for my kids, when I stumbled across numerous boxes of my things. It turns out that I did not loose all of my historic books. I found in one of my boxes my premiere issue of snow boarder magazine. The first one ever printed, I thought that I lost it. There was a Surfer magazine issue from October 1987. Some interesting articles within, one specifically interested me. A spread on California surfing. Since my recent trip to California I could now put a memory to some of the spots in the article and definately an image of that beautiful coastline.
All was, at one point, lost. But it is the little moments, the small tokens that we can hold on to that remind us of memories that otherwise slip away. A token that says 'yes' I did do that, I remember that time, it was not just a dream.



As a side note, I guess I had dropped in an old Canadian Tire flyer by accident. Check out the sleds and snow gear from back in 1989. Interesting stuff.










1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is what it is all about!! We did good! M & D